The Astro Travel Time calculator computes how long it would take to travel from the Earth to different places in space Our Solar System at various speeds. The speed include real and theoretical (Warp Speeds).
INSTRUCTIONS: Choose the following:
- (S) Speed Measurement
- (SU) Speed Units
- m/s - meters per second
- km/h - kilometers per hour
- mph - miles per hour
- MACH - multiples of the speed of sound
- Impulse - Star Trek Impulse Speed (see below)
- C - multiples of the speed of light
- WARP - Star Trek Warp Speed
- (Dest) Earth to ... : Choose the place in space to which you're traveling.
Space Travel Time (STT): The calculator returns the time it will take to travel to the object at the chosen velocity.
The Math / Science
- 28000 km/h (Space Shuttle speed),
- 9,600 mph (NASA probe speed "DAWN") The distances between the Earth and the objects within the solar system assume the shortest distances possible between the objects when their orbits are aligned on the same side of the sun.
The Star Trek speeds are based on two formulas. First, Full Impulse power is one fourth (.25) of the speed of light. Second, WARP SPEED velocity is equal to WARP Milk Way Galaxy and location of the Suncubed times the speed of light.
Velocity = w³ • C where w is WARP Speed.
Therefore, WARP 1 is the speed of light, WARP 2 is eight (2³) the speed of light, WARP 3 is twenty seven (3³) times the speed of light, and so on, according to some STAR TREK blogs.
Star Trek Velocities
- Full Impulse (Star Trek: .25⋅ c = 269813212.2 km/h)
- WARP 1 = light speed (299792458 m/s)
- WARP 2 (Star Trek: 8,634,022,790 km/h)
- WARP 3 (Star Trek: 29,139,826,918 km/h)
- WARP 4 (Star Trek: 69,072,182,323 km/h)
- WARP 5 (Star Trek: 134,906,606,100 km/h)
- WARP 6 (Star Trek: 233,118,615,341 km/h)
- WARP 7 (Star Trek: 370,183,727,138 km/h)
- WARP 8 (Star Trek: 552,577,458,586 km/h)
- WARP 9 (Star Trek: 786,775,326,775 km/h)
- WARP 9.9 (Star Trek: 1,047,197,959,938 km/h)
Related Astro Calculators:
Images of the Milky Way galaxy and the Solar System are from Wikipedia and shared under the Creative Commons Licensing Agreement